Spring has sprung, which for me usually means two things:
- The (slightly) warmer weather means finally not wearing so many layers I look like the Stay Puft marshmallow man.
- I’m totally glued to Pinterest and home and garden shows, planning how I can step up our curb appeal game (can’t just be me, right?)
While we aren’t in the business of helping you decide your new spring wardrobe, we are in the business of helping your home stand out in all the best ways. If your homes curb-appeal makes a great first impression, everyone – including potential homebuyers – will want to see whats inside! Whether you’re looking for some low-cost ways to spruce things up, or ready to make some serious moves, we can guide you in the right direction and help you achieve your goals.
We’ve put together a list of what we feel are the areas that will have the most impact, and our list we’ve laid out two options:
Thrifty – for when you want to give it a bit of a face lift, but nothing major.
Best ROI – This is the Best Return On Investment, which usually has the most energy efficient, highest home-value impact option.
Want more info on how you can apply these to your home? Give us a shout!
1. FRONT DOOR
Thrifty – Paint your door to add a pop of colour or fresh, new feel.
Best ROI – Upgrade to a new door system for better energy efficiency and function.
This is one of the first things people notice when they approach or enter your home. They literally can’t avoid it. Older doors can lose their seal or become out of square, making it difficult to operate and less energy efficient. Getting your front door replaced will benefit you in more ways than one:
- It provides a fresh, clean, and updated look to the main entrance of your home.
- It increases your energy efficiency.
- Replacing a damaged door system will be safer, and usually easier to operate.
Thrifty – Replace old, deteriorated caulking from the exterior of your windows to allow for a cleaner look and better seal.
Best ROI – Replace your window to improve energy efficiency and comfort.
You can tell a window isn’t doing it’s job properly in a couple of ways:
- You can feel cold and/or a draft coming from it in the winter, and heat in the summer.
- Condensation forms between the window panes.
- It’s stiff or hard to operate.
Getting your windows replaced (whether just one, or the whole house), is one of the best ways you can increase your homes value! It increases your homes energy effiency, AND it can have a huge impact on re-sale value! Check out some more of our recent window projects to see what a difference new windows can make.
3. A NEW ROOF
Thrifty – Repair areas of concern such as missing shingles, or sections most effected by weather (sun, water run off, etc).
Best ROI – Protect your home properly and give it a fresh look by replacing your roof.
As your homes first line of defence, a quality roof is essential. Not only do roofs that are weathered, worn, or have missing shingles just look shabby, they aren’t properly protecting your home from the elements.
Worn or damaged shingles increase the chance of leaks and property damage, so when you replace your roof you’re not only increasing your curb-appeal, you’re investing in your future.
Our roofing gallery gives good examples of how a roof should look, and what happens when you don’t use the proper materials.
Thrifty – Painting dated brick.
Best ROI – Install new siding for a “New Home” look and to increase your homes energy efficiency.
Siding acts as your homes skin, and it comes in many types and colours: Vinyl, aluminum, brick, composite, etc. It protects it from the elements, but over time it can look dated, weathered, and discoloured.
Whether you decide to paint it, or replace it all together, your house ends up looking brand new!
5. ADD SOME GREENERY
Thrifty – Add some colourful seasonal planters to frame you front entrance.
Best ROI – Hire a pro to revamp your garden and add some landscaping that really accents your house.
Whether you like a delightfully full English Country style garden, or a more groomed contemporary garden, you can’t help but feel a “Welcome Home” vibe as you walk up the path.
Some final thoughts…
All these points are perfect ways you can boost your curb-appeal, and with those come some very important reminders when it comes to working on your home yourself, or hiring an individual:
- ALWAYS check that any individual you hire has the proper Liability Insurance and valid WSIB. This ensures that you as a homeowner are protected should any unfortunate circumstances arise during the project.
- Remember that especially when it comes to heights, even some of the thrifty options are best left to a professional.
- We always recommend getting multiple quotes for any project, but make sure you’re comparing apples to apples! You want to know you are getting quoted on the same type of products and services.
- Make sure you are being provided with the proper products! For example, a quality underlayment should be used when installing a new roof, as it’s required to validate the product warranty.
- Speaking of warranties, your pro should give you adequate workmanship and product warranty information for the type of product and application.
At the end of the day, whether you chose to go Thrifty or go full out with your Best ROI, you are still making steps toward upgrading your home, and helping it be the best version of itself.